Followers

Thursday, February 14, 2013

The rant of inexperience and the lack of cousins

My muscle has atrophied. It was actually pretty easy to check. Two months ago, when I was in the midst of studying for my A levels, frisbee was my life. I looked up videos, searched tactics, ran to make myself faster. I could jump and touch the ceiling with my palms in my house.

I taped a measuring tape to the wall and my jump height was 58cm. I was by no means atheletic so my vertical jump was something I was satisfied by. I don't train so the potential to jump higher with knowledge of the average vertical height was another thing that fueled my frisbee craze. Two months later, after hours of computer games and puzzles and sitting on a damn chair. My jump height has dropped by 5cm. I can feel the significance of the loss of height. It does fill me with a little regret. Something I had enjoyed had reaped me the benefits of height; yet the loss of it was sudden and certain.

Which made me reflect on what I have done. Was it worth it? The opportunity cost of whatever had followed frisbee.

males females
rating (inches) (cm) (inches) (cm)
excellent > 28 > 70 > 24 > 60
very good 24 - 28 61-70 20 - 24 51-60
above average 20 - 24 51-60 16 - 20 41-50
average 16 - 20 41-50 12 - 16 31-40
below average 12 - 16 31-40 8 - 12 21-30
poor 8 - 12 21-30 4 - 8 11-20
very poor < 8 < 21 < 4 < 11


Mundane things, to be sure, but not to me. I define my life by learning. But by engaging in the action of learning, I would have decided to stop learning something else. Which is very similar to the concept of libertarianism and determinism. I digress, but I have no cousins. My New Year, indeed, every holiday, is with me and my brother in the doldrum. My aunts and uncles, four of them, know not my blogging. Hence I am free to rant. In exchange for cousins, my brother and I have became the apple of everyone's eye. It's pressurising and I do not enjoy it to say the least. There is a subconscious judgement of which has been placed on both of us. That we do not have any cousins have reinforced the concept that we are mere childs. There is no comparison of growths, no mothering of their own childs. One moment that still frustrates me is when I cross the darn road, one of my aunt still tries to hold my hands.

My mom laughed at that. I digress but I need to show a picture of how I have grown up. It's has mostly been my brother and I- which is probably why we are so competitive. We fulfil the roles of rivals and cousins, of enemies and best of friends. We only have the other to interact and we step in each role perfectly.

My aunt, of course, would have a maddeningly superiority complex. Any argument ends with a shake of a head, a smile and a sigh. You lack experience, they would say.

"Time, aunt, is a perception. Perhaps we merely perceive the stasis of space and time to be the passing of it. That time and space are a movie already played frame by frame, but we have the ability of only viewing one frame at a time, and only in the forward direction. The flaws of a three-dimensional creature."

"You lack experience, boy," *smiles*, "one day, when you grow up, you will know time is time. Cannot be changed."

 But an argument with my brother yields more interesting discussions. Which is why I am bleeding thankful I have one.



"Free will exist. I am a proponent of the Many-World Theory. A choice is merely the splitting of one world into many. Wave-functions collapse. Parallel universes locked in temporal steps, exactly the same except for the choice just made."

"No, it doesn't. I don't support the MWT but in fact, it shows it doesn't. Think of it this way. Make a choice and you restrict the other from making one. He makes a choice and it means He, or You in this universe has made another one. There are no exceptions due to the conditions of the MWT. No choice you make is so individualised till the impact is nil."

"Winner of the next reversi match wins the argument."













\

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I learn something totally new and challenging on blogs I stumbleupon everyday.
It's always helpful to read through content from other writers and practice something from their websites.

Also visit my blog post: electronic cigarettes

Anonymous said...

Definitely believe that which you said. Your favorite reason appeared to be on the internet the simplest thing
to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed
while people think about worries that they plainly don't know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people could take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

Here is my blog post :: Summitt Energy Complaints